You may need medical treatment for your knee pain. But you can also make lifestyle changes that help manage your knee pain so it can be easier to live with.
See below for things you can do:
- Lose weight. Every pound you lose takes 4 pounds of stress off your knee (4)
- Exercise your knee. Keep your joints and muscles in shape to prevent and ease knee pain (7)
- Eat healthy. Proper nutrition has been shown to help prevent knee pain. Make sure your diet includes foods high in vitamin C and other antioxidants (8)
- Quit smoking. Arthritis drugs can be less effective for smokers (9)
- Get a massage. Stimulation of blood flow can soothe knee pain (9)
- Wear appropriate footwear. Comfortable shoes can help reduce stress on your joints (7)
- Brace yourself. Certain devices (like braces or orthotic insoles) can help relieve pressure and stress on your joints (7)
For more tips, visit arthritis.org.